Fuquay-Varina Museums at Ashworth Park
Art work at Ashworth Park
Caboose at Ashworth Park
Historical Buildings at Ashworth Park
Ashworth Park Educational Area
- Historic Structures
- Walking Trail
Ashworth Park is the original home place of Rufus and Cornelia Ashworth, who married on January 12, 1918 during World War 1. The couple moved to Fuquay-Varina in 1922 and built their home at 112 Aiken Street around 1927 and expanded it over the years to accommodate their growing family. Rufus and Cornelia raised nine children in the Aiken Street home: Tom, W.D. “Skinny," Evelyn Smith, Frances Senter, Charles, Ralph, Max, Mollie Stephenson and Jimmy.
In 1937, Rufus opened his own clothing business and operated it until his death in June 1970. Ashworth’s Clothing remains on Main Street in Fuquay-Varina. Cornelia continued to live in the Aiken Street home place until her death at the age of 97 on December 16, 1995. The generations of Ashworths that followed have contributed significantly to the Town of Fuquay-Varina making it a better community.
Ashworth Park was dedicated on October 8, 2014.
Ashworth Park is home to significant historical Town treasures including the J.D. “Squire” Ballentine School, the first Fuquay Springs Post Office, and Centennial Museum. On the grounds, find an original tobacco barn, a playhouse from the Johnson House, and a caboose.