106 Country Mill Way
Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526
J. Blake Massengill was elected to the Fuquay-Varina Board of Commissioners in 2013 and re-elected to a second 4-year term in 2017. He currently serves at the Mayor Pro-Tem.
Blake moved to Fuquay-Varina when he was 2 years old, and still proudly calls it home with his wife, Heather, and two children, Jake, 4, and Anna, 2.
Blake is owner/president of Massengill Design-Build, a full-service building company located in Fuquay-Varina, NC. He is a second generation builder with many years of experience in the building industry. Massengill Design-Build has been honored with many awards in the Wake County Parade of Homes. In addition, in 2014 Blake Massengill was named the Wake County Builder of the Year, and in 2019, he was named the NC Distinguished Builder of the Year by the NC Home Builders Association.
Massengill Design-Build is a member and 2018 President of the HBA of Raleigh-Wake Co., a member of the North Carolina Home Builders Association, and a member of the National Association of Home Builders.
Blake holds a bachelor’s degree in Accounting and a Master’s of Business Administration degree from North Carolina State University.
In addition to his work as a general contractor, Blake is President of Acute Property Management, which deals primarily with home owner association management, and deVintage Realty, a full-service real estate company serving the Triangle region.
Blake is a member of the Fuquay-Varina Rotary Club and Fuquay-Varina Chamber of Commerce. He and his family attend Fuquay-Varina United Methodist Church.
Since joining the Town Board in 2013, Blake has made transportation projects his top priority. He is proud of the recent major traffic improvements accomplished in town, particularly the Judd/Main St. and Sunset Lake/Main St. intersection expansions, which were completed with a combination of bond and grant funding. He looks forward to the other projects that are in the works, as he understands the frustrations our citizens feel with the traffic congestion. In addition, Blake takes pride in our parks and recreation facilities; Arts Center; and new Town Hall building in downtown.
Blake is particularly involved in expanding the Town’s economic development opportunities, while serving as Chairman of the Economic Development Commission.
Board of Commissioners Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruiting, selecting, and hiring a Town Manager and recognizing the role of a professional manager to serve the governing board as a whole
- Establish the general framework under which the Town can meet the needs of the community
- Appoint a Town Attorney
- Set direction by clarifying the Town's mission and purposes and by setting goals for the short and long term
- Adopt policies and ordinances
- Engage in strategy development (annual retreat)
- Understand its own legal and ethical responsibilities
- Enhancing the Town's public image
- Provide citizens opportunities to respectfully comment on public issues
- Making sure that resources are adequate to serve the public and are used for their intended purposes
- Channeling communications appropriately to the Town Manager
- Expecting staff to make independent and objective recommendations
- January 2012- Appointed to the Planning Board
- December 2013 - Elected to Fuquay-Varina Town Board of Commissioners to serve 4 year term.
- December 2015 - Elected by Town Board as Mayor Pro Tempore to serve 2 year term.
- December 2017 - Elected to Fuquay-Varina Town Board of Commissioners to serve 4 year term.
- December 2017 - Elected by Town Board as Mayor Pro Tempore to serve 2 year term.
Current Town Board of Commissioner Committees
Economic Development, Chairman
Law and Finance Committee, Member
Public Works Committee, Member