James A. Campbell Park
James A. Campbell Park Playground
James A. Campbell Park Picnic Shelter
Campbell Family at Campbell Park Dedication
- Picnic Shelters
James A. Campbell
The James A. Campbell Park was renamed from the West Jones Street Park on October 17, 2014. Throughout his life, Mr. Campbell was a dedicated educator. From 1959-1971, he taught math and coached both basketball and football at Fuquay Consolidated School. In 1971, with the integration of the Town’s schools, Mr. Campbell moved to Fuquay-Varina High School as a teacher and became an Assistant Principal in 1972 where he served in that capacity for 20 years until his retirement in 1992.
After retiring, Mr. Campbell served as Director at Richard Milburn High School, an alternative high school in Wake County that served long-term suspended students. He is remembered by his staff and students as smart, funny, and respected by everyone.
Mr. Campbell was appointed to the Fuquay-Varina Board of Commissioners to fill a vacancy left by Commissioner William Freeman in December 2002. He was elected to serve a four-year term on the Board of Commissioners in November 2003. Mr. Campbell passed away in August 2007.
James Campbell possessed a gift for positively influencing all those who knew him, especially during the integration of our schools which was a tense time. With quiet determination and grace, Mr. Campbell used his love of education and public service to impact the lives of countless people in Fuquay-Varina. James A. Campbell will always be remembered for his significant contributions to the Fuquay-Varina community.
Mr. Campbell is survived by his wife of 44 years, Kathleen Davis Campbell and three children, James Rodney Campbell, Phillip Bryan Campbell and Trillis Campbell Koivogui.