What do I need to know to open a home-based business?

As technological advances are made, more and more people are working from home. Some people also run small businesses from their homes. These are called home occupations, or home-based businesses, and are allowed with approval by the Town’s Planning Department via a letter of zoning compliance. While the Town fully supports these creative uses, the Town is also charged with ensuring that a home occupation does not conflict with the intent of the property or create negative impacts to the neighborhood. For this reason, there are standards that must be met in order for a home occupation to be approved. The Home Occupation User Guide offers a comprehensive list of these standards. For more information, contact the Planning Department at 919-552-1429 or planning@fuquay-varina.org.

Show All Answers

1. What is rezoning?
2. What is a variance?
3. Are there rules for fences?
4. Do I need a permit for an accessory structure?
5. Can I have chickens?
6. What is an easement?
7. Do I need the town's approval to open a business?
8. What do I need to know to open a home-based business?
9. Can I obtain of survey map of my property at Town Hall?