Do I need the town's approval to open a business?

Yes. A zoning compliance letter from the Planning Department is required. The purpose of the letter is to allow the Town to verify that new businesses are permitted and have approval for the location in question. Sometimes lending institutions and other government agencies may also require a property owner to obtain a zoning compliance letter. There is a $50 fee associated with the letter. Processing time is typically 2-3 business days from the date of request. Requests should be made via email to and should include the address and type of business proposed, business name and information, and another other information the applicant may wish to be provided in the letter. Payment is required prior to pick-up of the letter and can be paid at Town Hall located at 134 N Main Street.

Show All Answers

1. What is rezoning?
2. What is a variance?
3. Are there rules for fences?
4. Do I need a permit for an accessory structure?
5. Can I have chickens?
6. What is an easement?
7. Do I need the town's approval to open a business?
8. What do I need to know to open a home-based business?
9. Can I obtain of survey map of my property at Town Hall?