What is rezoning?

A rezoning, or zoning map amendment, is a change of the zoning on a particular property. This change may affect the nature of, the density of, and/or the intensity of permitted uses on the subject property(ies). A rezoning is necessary if you wish to develop, redevelop, or use a property in a way that is not currently permitted by the property's zoning district. Rezoning property is not always the only possible route to development and should be considered carefully before an application is made, as the process can be expensive, time-consuming, and permanent unless another rezoning is proposed. 

If a property's zoning designation is changed, the new designation replaces the old. THe uses that are permitted in the new zoning district are the uses that are allowed on the property. All the permitted uses allowed and which zoning districts they are allowed in can be found in the Permitted Use Table in the Land Development Ordinance (LDO).

If the Town Board votes to deny a rezoning, the zoning designation is not changed and the current zoning designation is still binding.

Show All Answers

1. What is rezoning?
2. What is a variance?
3. Are there rules for fences?
4. Do I need a permit for an accessory structure?
5. Can I have chickens?
6. What is an easement?
7. Do I need the town's approval to open a business?
8. What do I need to know to open a home-based business?
9. Can I obtain of survey map of my property at Town Hall?