Who Maintains the Roads

Knowing whether a road is owned and maintained by the State or the Town can be confusing. When you have questions, view our Interactive Map to find out! When the map loads, open the Town Information and Development layer group and turn on the Who Maintains the Streets layer. 

State or Town Maintenance

Properly maintained state roads will have the road or street name on them and the right corner will have SR (State Road) with a 4 digit number. Town maintained roads will have a green sign with only the street name on it. Privately maintained roads will have a yellow marker on the right-side of the street name sign indicating it is privately maintained.

To Report Maintenance Issues

State Maintained Roads: To report potholes or other maintenance issues involving state-owned roads, call NCDOT at 919-733-4768 or use the reporting button on NCDOT's website.

Town-owned streets: To report potholes and other maintenance issues for town maintained streets, call the Public Works Department at 919-753-1027.