- Police Department
- Community Outreach
- Child Passenger Safety Seat Inspections
Child Passenger Safety Seat Inspections
FVPD employees teach parents and caregivers how to properly install child safety seats into their vehicles. Certified car seat technicians (police employees) are available to assist you with installing your new car seat, answering any questions you may have, and checking to see if your current car seat is properly sized for your child. We also provide clarity regarding North Carolina laws about child safety seats and seat belt laws. Education is key in providing safety for your family!
In addition, officers also check a constantly online database of car seat recalls ensuring that the seat you are using has no defects and meets all federal standards. Personnel are available by appointment or during our Safety Seat Inspection Clinic Dates.
There is no charge for this service and no limit to the number of seats installed. We accept donations of new child safety seats that are within federal guidelines to provide if needed to individuals that need them from local businesses and community or civic groups . To learn how you can help or donate contact Sgt. Phillip Wallinger at email@example.com. We also apply for grants to assist with this funding.
Car Seat Installation
Many people assume that a car seat installation is a simple and straightforward thing to do. In reality, studies show that as many as 90% of car seats are either not properly matched to the child's size or improperly installed. Don't take a chance with your child's safety. Read your manual and when in doubt, make an appointment with the FVPD or the FVFD for help. That's what we are here for - to help you!
Please help us help you. When preparing for a Child Passenger Safety Seat Inspection:
* Please ensure that the child passenger seat is clean prior to arriving for an inspection.
* Please bring the child that will be riding in the seat when you come for an inspection.
* Exception: Expecting parents wanting to have the special seat just right for the ride home from the hospital are encouraged to make an appointment! We only ask that you come back AFTER your new arrival to ensure a proper and safe fit!
* Plan on spending between 3-45 minutes for an inspection or installation. Our goal is to teach parents proper installation techniques so you can do it correctly every time.