The Town provides weekly curbside garbage collection to approximately 6000 residential accounts and twice a week service to more than 200 commercial accounts. The Town adds approximately 250 new accounts each year. Rear loading vehicles are used to collect garbage from 95-gallon capacity roll-out carts which are provided to residents at no cost.
Commercial Garbage Collection
Commercial garbage pick-up is provided on Monday and Thursday.
Residential Garbage Collection
Residential accounts are assigned a garbage collection day based on where they live. To find your scheduled garbage and recycling day, please click here. You will need to know your Subdivision and/or Street name. The schedule includes loose leaf service as well. Recycling is done every other Wednesday. Cross-reference the Gold and Green Recycling and Loose Leaf Calendar to get your exact date for Recycling Collection and week for Loose Leaf Collection.
Please help us provide efficient, safe and timely service to all customers by doing the following:
- On your scheduled pick-up day, please place your garbage cart curbside no later than 5 a.m. the day of your pick-up
- For your convenience, you may also place your cart curbside after 7:00 p.m. on the evening before your collection day.
- Do not leave cart out after 7:00 p.m. on the day of pick-up.
- Do not put any markings on the outside on the garbage cart.
- Do not place yard debris into garbage or recycle cart. Yard debris and recycling is picked-up separately. See Yard Debris Collection Services.
- Do not put any loose diapers or loose animal waste into the garbage cart. These items must be bagged.
- Do not put cardboard out with your garbage. Cardboard is picked up by the Town on your regular recycle day. Boxes are to be broken down and placed beside your recycle cart at the curb for pick-up. Cardboard pick-up service is only available for residential accounts. We do not provide cardboard recycle service for commercial accounts.
- For cart repairs or replacements call (919) 753-1027.
Holiday Garbage Collection
Generally, if Thanksgiving and Christmas fall on a weekday, it will affect your garbage collection pick-up day. Your garbage will be picked up the day before or after the normally scheduled day. Residents will receive prior notification on our website and in our newsletter Focus on Fuquay-Varina and Public Works News.
For all other holidays during the year, please place your garbage cart curbside following the above procedures and it will be collected on your normal day.
Appliance Collection Service
Call the Public Works Department at (919) 753-1027 to schedule curbside pick-up of an appliance. Items are picked-up on Monday. The fee for this service is $10 and must be paid in advance at Town Hall in the Public Works Department located at 401 Old Honeycutt Road.
Construction Material and Hazardous Waste Material Collection
The Town does not collect construction materials, demolition materials or hazardous waste materials.
There are several landfills in Wake County that will accept this type of debris. You can contact South Wake Multi-Material Recycling Facility in Apex at (919) 387-2126 or North Wake Landfill & Recycling Center in Raleigh at (919) 870-4345. You can also go to Wake County's government website and the different types of materials are listed and where to take it, there is also a web link on our website.
Furniture and Bulky Items Collection Service
For disposal of large household items such as furniture that can't be handled as part of the weekly garbage pick-up, residents should call the Public Works Department at 919-753-1027 to request pick-up. Items are normally picked-up on Monday and must be scheduled for pick-up. There is no fee for this service.
Loose Leaf Collection Service
Recycling Collection Service
Yard Debris Collection Service
Electronic Waste Collection Service