NCDOT Offers holiday shopping safety tips from Watch for Me NC campaign
Did you know that more than 100 people in the Triangle are hit by cars in in parking lots. The North Carolina Department of Transportation, through its Watch for Me NC campaign, encourages drivers and pedestrians to follow these safety tips to ensure a safe and joyous holiday season:
• Before backing out, be sure to look in all directions for pedestrians.
• Drive slowly through parking lots as pedestrians and children can dart out from between cars.
• Be sure you have clear sight lines out of your cars and that no packages are blocking your view.
• Put away your cell phone and stay focused on driving safely.
• Never assume pedestrians can see you.
• Put away your cell phone and take out any headphones to make sure you are not distracted.
• Keep an eye out for cars pulling out of parking spaces. Break lights are a good sign a car is about
to back up.
• Be sure to look both ways before stepping in to the parking lot for cars.
• Do not run or dart out in to the parking lot.