Become Part of Our Team Today!
We are seeking applicants who are interested in joining a 21st Century progressive and community-oriented police agency.
The Fuquay-Varina Police Department is looking for qualified, motivated men and women with a strong, professional work ethic, exceptional communication skills and who want to make a positive difference in our community. As a member of the Fuquay-Varina Police Department you will enjoy excellent benefits, competitive salary and a professional working environment.
Starting salary as of July 1, 2017 is $41,399 for applicants with BLET certification/no experience. Officers with experience may receive higher salary dependent upon years of service, training and overall experience. A 5% increase will be given upon successful completion of the probationary period.
The Fuquay-Varina Police Department's minimum requirements for employment as a police officer are:
- High school graduate or equivalent with some college preferred
- Must be at least 20 years of age
- Good moral character (as determined by an extensive background investigation)
- Not have been convicted of a felony or crime punishable by more than two year imprisonment or an offense involving moral turpitude as well as obtain clearance from NC. Criminal Justice Education Training and Standards Requirements
- Must possess a valid Driver's License
- Demonstrate employment stability
- Ability to work varied shifts
- Ability to deal with the public tactfully and firmly
- Citizenship/U.S. work authorization
- Pass an interview, a polygraph examination given by a licensed polygraph examiner, a psychological test, a drug screen and a medical examination.
Factors for Disqualification
Police Officer Applicants can be immediately rejected from further consideration for any one or combination of the following:
- Not a United States Citizen
- Not at least 20 years of age
- Is not a high school graduate or have passed the General Education Development Test indicating high school equivalency
- Any conviction of a felony.
- Any conviction of a crime for which the punishment could have been more than two (2) years.
- Conviction a crime or unlawful acts defined as Class B Misdemeanors within the preceding five year period prior to the date of application for employment.
- Conviction of one or more crimes or unlawful acts as defined as Class A Misdemeanors within the preceding four years. Examples: Assault on a Female, Assault on Government Officer, Violation of Domestic Violence Protective Order and Misdemeanor Larceny.
- Crimes or acts involving moral turpitude (anything done contrary to justice, honesty, modesty or good morals. It implies something immoral in itself, regardless of its being punishable by law).
- Traffic Violations - For a period of three years preceding application or any time after the date of application, having a driver's license revoked or suspended, or pleading guilty to, entering a plea of no contest to, or being convicted for a traffic offense which may result in the suspension or revocation of driving privileges.
- A DUI or DWI conviction within the past five (5) years. Any convictions over the five (5) year time frame will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Any involvement in the sale and/or distribution of illegal drugs. Prior usage of illegal drugs is evaluated for the extent of the use and how recent the usage has been. Use of "hard drugs" is grounds for automatic disqualification.
- Dishonorable discharge from any military service (less than honorable discharge will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Untruthfulness or the intentional withholding of information on any application, interview, polygraph examination or paperwork associated with the position.
- Deliberate inaccuracies or incomplete statements.
- Cheating on any examination, evaluation or testing associated with the position.
- Not meeting basic requirements with the position as defined by the Criminal Justice Education Training and Standards Commission.
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
A completed Town of Fuquay-Varina employment application, Police Supplemental Application and F-3 (LE) Form must be received in the Town of Fuquay-Varina Human Resources Office. Resumes may be submitted in addition to but not in lieu of a completed employment application. Applications may be faxed, mailed or hand-delivered to the Town of Fuquay-Varina, Human Resources Department, 401 Old Honeycutt Rd., Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526. Fax: (919) 552-7481
For more information
To contact the FVPD's Career Development Officer, contact Captain Bob Adams at email@example.com or call (919) 552-1423.